Enfield Senior Center
299 Elm Street, Enfield, CT 06082
News Release for the Week of July 28, 2014
Have you read the David McCullough book about John Adams? Have you seen the HBO series? John and Abigail Adams have received a lot of attention recently. Join Asnuntuck Community College Professor Elle Van Dermark for her presentation of The Adams Family – John and Abigail on Monday, August 11 at 2:30 p.m. There is no charge for this event but registration is requested.
The Dan Kane Singers are in concert at the Enfield Senior Center on Friday, August 8 at 6 p.m. They are known throughout Western Massachusetts for their entertaining performances. Tickets are on sale for $7 per person and include dessert and coffee at the break.
Please join U.S. Congressman Joe Courtney for a Conversation on Medicare and Social Security. Representative Courtney will give an update on issues important to all older Americans on Tuesday, August 12 at 1 p.m. at the Enfield Senior Center.
Volunteers from Enfield Youth Services are coming to the Senior Center to provide individualized cell phone training. If you have wanted to learn to text, take pictures, or anything else with your cell phone or smart phone, stop in on Monday, August 4 or 11 from 4 to 5 p.m.
Dressed as Mehetable, a 17th century Puritan woman, Alice Plouchard Stelzer will share stories from her book, Female Adventurers: The Women Who Helped Colonize Massachusetts and Connecticut on Monday, July 28, 2:30 pm. Gain insight into the commitment that the dozen of unsung heroes made, and the challenges they encountered, how they interacted, the impact of religion on their lives, history of the times, debunks some myths, and tells stories about the individual women. There is no charge for the Meet Mehetable presentation.
Deana Martin, daughter of Dean Martin, will be visiting the Enfield Senior Center to talk about her famous father and his friends on Thursday, July 31 at 1 p.m. There are no complimentary tickets left. You may join us for standing room, if you like.
· What’s in Your Cart? Shop Smart for Diabetes – Wednesday, July 30 at 1 p.m. Diabetic Educator Michele Roy, RD, CDE invites you to bring a food label to review, if you like.
· Senior Finances 101 – Wednesday, August 6 at 1 p.m.
· Lifeline Emergency Response – Wednesday, August 13 at 1 p.m.
· Eye Surgery Update – Thursday, August 14 at 6 p.m.
Trip flyers are available on our website at www.enfield-ct.gov/seniors or can be picked up at the Senior Center.
Day trips are available for sale on or after the trip sign-up date.
· Yakov at Fox Theatre, Foxwoods Casino, September 17, 2014. Cost: $70 pp.
· Cranberries, Chowder & Wine, Cape Cod Canal Cruise, September 23, 2014. Cost: $110 pp.
· Vermont, Green Mountain Flyer, October 9, 2014. Cost: $112 pp. Sign-up date is August 15, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Salem, MA, October 21, 2014, Cost: $87 pp. Sign-up date is August 22, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· The Lettermen at the Garde Arts Center, November 12, 2014. Cost: $88 pp. Sign-up date is September 5, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
Reservations are being accepted for this 2-day trip.
· Victorian Streetwalk in Saratoga, December 4-5, 2014. Cost: $307 pp/dbl.
Reservations are being accepted for multi-day adventures.
· Hawaii Cruise, January 22-February 1, 2015. Contact 860-763-7427 for pricing.
· Springtime Tulip River Cruise, Belgium & the Netherlands, April 10 – 18, 2015. Cost: $3649 pp, lower outside cabin.
· Alaska Inside Passage Cruise, May 6 – 16, 2015. Cost: $2489 pp/inside stateroom/dbl.
Meal reservations can be made by calling 860-763-7428. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, as well. We look forward to hearing from you.