Enfield Senior Center
299 Elm Street, Enfield, CT 06082
News Release for the Week of October 6, 2014
The Enfield Senior Center has many opportunities for flu shots to accommodate your schedule. The Center for Disease Control reports that, “Influenza is a serious disease that can lead to hospitalization.” Just drop in when it is convenient for you so that you can stay healthy. Choose from Wednesday, October 8 from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, October 15 from 4 to 6 p.m., Friday, October 17 from 10 a.m. to noon, Friday, October 24 from 10 a.m. to noon, or Wednesday, November 12 from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Don’t forget your Medicare or insurance card.
The Enfield Senior Center is proud to present Bennie & The Jets in Concert on Friday, October 17 at 6 p.m. This amazing Elton John tribute band usually plays larger venues all over the country. They are coming to entertain at the Senior Center as a benefit for Senior Center programs. Imagine the glasses, costume changes and wonderful music including, “Candle in the Wind”, “Crocodile Rock”, “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” and more great hits. Tickets are on sale in the Senior Center office for $7 per person including dessert and coffee at the break.
Instructional Pickleball will begin Tuesday, October 7 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the South Road Tennis/Pickleball Courts. No experience, equipment or registration needed. Just come. In the event of inclement weather, it will be held on Wednesday at the same time. Pickleball equipment packs are available for loan at the Enfield Senior Center. Stop in and pick one up and give it a try.
CarFit is a program sponsored by AARP and the American Occupational Therapy Association that will provide a quick but comprehensive check of how you and your car fit. A good fit will give you a clear line of sight over the steering wheel, easy access to brake and gas pedals, a seatbelt that holds you in proper position, and other benefits. Trained professionals will be at the Enfield Senior Center on Thursday, October 9 from 1 to 3 p.m. to provide the check. Schedule your 20-minute appointment by calling the Senior Center office.
The Live Well Chronic Disease Self-Management Program is an evidence-based program created at Stanford University that includes six weekly workshops. Learn how to deal with frustration, fatigue and pain, and learn exercises to improve strength and flexibility. This workshop is for anyone who has any type of chronic condition such as diabetes, arthritis, lung disease, depression/anxiety, hypertension and more. Graduates report fewer symptoms, fewer doctor visits and fewer ER visits. Please register by calling the Senior Center office. There is no fee for this series. Live Well will be held on Thursdays beginning October 9 from 9 to 11:30 a.m.
AARP Tax-Aide needs your skills. Volunteers prepare tax returns, greet program users and ensure that things run smoothly. Sign up to train for the 2015 tax season at aarp.org/taxvolunteer.
All programs on Public Access Channel 15 are produced by volunteers. Training and equipment are offered at no charge, to any Cox Enfield franchise resident to produce non-profit shows of interest to the community. On Monday, October 27 at 1 p.m., Access Coordinator, Sandy Zukowski, will be at the Senior Center to talk about Community TV Production. Join us on that day or call 860-698-6124 for more information.
Join us for a day trip, on Wednesday, November 12, 2014, to the Garde Arts Center in New London, CT to see The Lettermen. Known for their easy listening vocals, The Lettermen will be performing many of their gold record hits. “When I Fall in Love”, “Summer Place”, “Going Out of my Head”, and “Shangri-La” are just some of the hits you’ll recognize. Prior to the 3 p.m. show, you’ll have time to explore Mohegan Sun Casino, which includes $20 free slot play or free bet, and a $10 meal voucher. To receive a casino bonus, passengers must have a Player’s Club Card or be able to sign up for one on the day of the trip. Price: $88 pp. Reservations are being accepted at the Enfield Senior Center front desk.
· Independent Living vs. Assisted Living – Wednesday, October 8 at 1 p.m.
· Maximizing Your Social Security Benefits – Thursday, October 9 at 6 p.m.
· Blood Glucose Monitoring: What Do the Numbers Mean? – Wednesday, October 15 at 1 p.m
· What is New in Medicare Advantage Plans? – Thursday, October 16 at 6 p.m.
Trip flyers are available on our website at www.enfield-ct.gov/seniors or can be picked up at the Senior Center.
Day trips are available for sale on or after the trip sign-up date.
· Vermont, Green Mountain Flyer, October 9, 2014. This trip is sold out!
· Salem, MA, October 21, 2014, Cost: $87 pp. This trip is sold out!
· The Lettermen at the Garde Arts Center, November 12, 2014. Cost: $88 pp.
· Texas Tenors at Foxwoods Casino, December 11, 2014. Cost: $70 pp. Sign-up date is Friday, October 10, 2014, starting at 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Santa & the Goldtones at the Log Cabin Restaurant, December 11, 2014. Cost: $52 pp. Tickets are available at the Senior Center Front Desk.
· It’s a Wonderful Life at the Stageloft Theatre, Salem Cross Inn, December 13, 2014. Cost: $75 pp. Sign-up date is Friday, October 17, 2014, starting at 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
Reservations are being accepted for this 2-day trip.
· Victorian Streetwalk in Saratoga, December 4-5, 2014. Cost: $307 pp/dbl.
Reservations are being accepted for multi-day adventures.
· Hawaii Cruise, January 22-February 1, 2015. Contact 860-763-7427 for pricing and availability. This trip is sold out!
· Springtime Tulip River Cruise, Belgium & the Netherlands, April 10 – 18, 2015. Contact 860-763-7427 for pricing and availability.
· Alaska Inside Passage Cruise, May 6 – 16, 2015. Cost: $2489 pp/inside stateroom/dbl.
· Sunny Portugal, October 15 – 25, 2015. Cost: $2999 pp/double.
Meal reservations can be made by calling 860-763-7428. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, as well. We look forward to hearing from you.