Enfield Senior Center
299 Elm Street, Enfield, CT 06082
News Release for the Week of April 28, 2014
Celebrate the beautiful weather with an early morning outing. Enjoy a pancake breakfast, shop the gift shop, pick up a homemade baked good, buy some plants at the Enfield Garden Club plant sale, and have fun choosing a raffle basket to try and win. On Saturday, May 3, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., make plans to attend the Spring Raffle, Bake Sale and Pancake Breakfast at the Enfield Senior Center. It is a new twist on a classic favorite event.
Get your tickets for the Beatles for Sale Concert on Friday, May 9 at 6 p.m. Tickets are $7 per person and include dessert and coffee. Relive the classic Ed Sullivan Show with this warm, friendly Beatles tribute band.
Are you looking for a meaningful volunteer opportunity? We are looking for technology instructors. If you can teach an iPad or iPhone class, or an app that you use, we could use your help. Send and e-mail to email@example.com.
Next month, the Afternoon Ballroom Dance will be held on Friday, May 16 at 2 p.m. Admission is $3 at the door and includes a snack at the break.
One of our favorite events is the Line Dance Jamboree. Share your talent and learn some new steps on Thursday, May 22 at 1 p.m. Tickets are $7 per person and include an afternoon of dancing and a grinder too!
How do you know when it is time for a loved one to limit or stop driving? It is a tough subject for most families. We Need to Talk is a seminar designed to provide you with the tools to help you have that important conversation. We Need to Talk is sponsored by AARP and will be held on Monday, May 5 at 6:30 p.m. Please register by calling the Senior Center.
Are you concerned about foot pain or any foot abnormality? Dawn Froonmjian from the Johnson Memorial Medical Center Advanced Wound Care Center will provide a free 15-minute Free Foot Care Assessment on Thursday, May 8 from 2 to 3 p.m. Appointments are preferred but walk-ins are accepted as time permits.
Johnson Memorial Medical Center is providing a Free Stroke Screening on Friday, May 16 and Friday, May 23 at the Enfield Senior Center. Schedule your screening by calling 860-763-7684.
We are starting a bike group to meet and go on local trails. If you are interested, please sign up in the Senior Center office.
Stay healthy and stay strong with the Enfield Senior Center Men’s Fitness Class. Try a free class on Thursday, May 1, from 12 to 1 p.m. If you like the class, it will continue on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12 to 1 p.m. through May. You will have a 1-day option of 4 classes at $12 for residents and $16 for non-resident or a 2-day option of 8 classes for $24 for residents and $32 for non-residents. Men’s group fitness classes are becoming very popular. This conditioning class is designed to enhance flexibility and agility. Strength training is incorporated to prevent muscle loss and build bone mass. Even if you go to the gym, this fitness class can add to your workout by using kettlebells, weights and varied routines.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is an evidenced-based educational program designed to provide caregivers the tools needed to take care of themselves, while caring for a friend or relative. The class is six 2 ½ hour sessions beginning at 2 p.m. from Tuesday, April 29 through June 3 at the Enfield Senior Center. To register, call 1-877-783-7262.
· Therapeutic Gardening – Wednesday, April 30 at 1 p.m.
· What’s New in Diabetes Management? – Thursday, May 1 at 6 p.m.
· Eating Healthy on a Budget – Wednesday, May 7 at 1 p.m.
Trip flyers are available on our website at www.enfield-ct.gov/seniors or can be picked up at the Senior Center.
Day trips are available for sale on or after the trip sign-up date.
· Essex Steam Train & Riverboat Cruise on the CT. River, June 25, 2014. Cost: $90 pp.
· Lobster Bash at Amarante’s Sea Cliff Restaurant and an Elvis Show, July 16, 2014. Cost: $84 pp.
· Exploring the Hudson, Mariner’s Harbor, River Cruise, July 24, 2014. Cost: $108 pp. Sign-up date is May 23, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Yakov at Fox Theatre, Foxwoods Casino, September 17, 2014. Cost: $70 pp. Sign-up date is July 18, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Cranberries, Chowder & Wine, Cape Cod Canal Cruise, September 23, 2014. Cost: $110 pp. Sign-up date is July 25, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Green Mountain Flyer, October 9, 2014. Cost: $112 pp. Sign-up date is August 15, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
Reservations are being accepted for 3-day trips.
· Pennsylvania &“MOSES”, June 9-11, 2014. Cost: $443 pp/dbl.
· “Vermont Explorer”, July 9–11, 2014. Cost: $489 pp/dbl.
· Saratoga Races & the Adirondacks, August 5–7, 2014. Cost: $515 pp/dbl.
· Maine Coast & Acadia National Park, September 9-11, 2014. Cost: $485 pp/dbl.
Reservations are being accepted for multi-day adventures.
· Ireland, October 1–8, 2014. Cost: $2499 pp/dbl.
· Hawaii Cruise, January 22-February 1, 2015. Cost: $4899 pp/balcony cabin/dbl. (Only 4 cabins available at this rate).
Meal reservations can be made by calling 860-763-7428. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, as well. We look forward to hearing from you.