Enfield Senior Center
299 Elm Street, Enfield, CT 06082
News Release for the Week of April 21, 2014
How do you know when it is time for a loved one to limit or stop driving? It is a tough subject for most families. We Need to Talk is a seminar designed to provide you with the tools to help you have that important conversation. We Need to Talk is sponsored by AARP and will be held on Monday, May 5 at 6:30 p.m. Please register by calling the Senior Center.
We are starting a bike group to meet and go on local trails. If you are interested, please sign up in the Senior Center office.
Stay healthy and stay strong with the Enfield Senior Center Men’s Fitness Class. Try a free class on Thursday, May 1, from 12 to 1 p.m. If you like the class, it will continue on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12 to 1 p.m. through May. You will have a 1-day option of 4 classes at $12 for residents and $16 for non-resident or a 2-day option of 8 classes for $24 for residents and $32 for non-residents. Men’s group fitness classes are becoming very popular. This conditioning class is designed to enhance flexibility and agility. Strength training is incorporated to prevent muscle loss and build bone mass. Even if you go to the gym, this fitness class can add to your workout by using kettlebells, weights and varied routines.
Watch a movie and have a turkey grinder on Thursday, April 24 at 5 p.m. The movie is “Captain Phillips” starring Tom Hanks. Please buy your tickets for $5 in advance. If you only want to attend the movie, you can pay $2 at the door. The movie starts at 6 p.m.
We are sold out for the Nifty Fifties Band on Friday, April 25 at 6 p.m. If you would like, you can put your name on a waiting list in the event that some tickets are returned.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is an evidenced-based educational program designed to provide caregivers the tools needed to take care of themselves, while caring for a friend or relative. The class is six 2 ½ hour sessions beginning at 2 p.m. from Tuesday, April 29 through June 3 at the Enfield Senior Center. To register, call 1-877-783-7262.
Inspired by a New York Times article about a caregiver support group that walked and talked, I thought we might try that here. If you are a caregiver who would like to get some exercise and support at the same time, please call the Senior Center and leave your name and the best time for you to meet.
Due to its popularity, we’ve added another trip to Harlem, NY on Sunday, April 27, 2014. Enjoy a guided tour of Harlem’s famed Apollo Theater followed by lunch at the famous Sylvia’s Restaurant. A guided riding tour highlights the neighborhood with its famed Gospel Churches and lovely homes atop Harlem Heights. Price is $107 per person. Stop by the Senior Center Front Desk to make your reservation.
· Broken Sleep-An Overview of Sleep Apnea – Wednesday, April 23 at 1 p.m.
· Therapeutic Gardening – Wednesday, April 30 at 1 p.m.
· What’s New in Diabetes Management – Thursday, May 1 at 6 p.m.
· Eating Healthy on a Budget – Wednesday, May 7 at 1 p.m.
Trip flyers are available on our website at www.enfield-ct.gov/seniors or can be picked up at the Senior Center.
Day trips are available for sale on or after the trip sign-up date.
· Essex Steam Train & Riverboat Cruise on the CT. River, June 25, 2014. Cost: $90 pp.
· Lobster Bash at Amarante’s Sea Cliff Restaurant and an Elvis Show, July 16, 2014. Cost: $84 pp. Sign-up date is April 25, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Exploring the Hudson, Mariner’s Harbor, River Cruise, July 24, 2014. Cost: $108 pp. Sign-up date is May 23, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Yakov at Fox Theatre, Foxwoods Casino, September 17, 2014. Cost: $70 pp. Sign-up date is July 18, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Cranberries, Chowder & Wine, Cape Cod Canal Cruise, September 23, 2014. Cost: $110 pp. Sign-up date is July 25, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
· Green Mountain Flyer, October 9, 2014. Cost: $112 pp. Sign-up date is August 15, 2014, 10 a.m., Senior Center Dining Room.
Reservations are being accepted for 3-day trips.
· Pennsylvania &“MOSES”, June 9-11, 2014. Cost: $443 pp/dbl.
· “Vermont Explorer”, July 9–11, 2014. Cost: $489 pp/dbl.
· Saratoga Races & the Adirondacks, August 5–7, 2014. Cost: $515 pp/dbl.
· Maine Coast & Acadia National Park, September 9-11, 2014. Cost: $485 pp/dbl.
Reservations are being accepted for multi-day adventures.
· Ireland, October 1–8, 2014. Cost: $2499 pp/dbl.
· Hawaii Cruise, January 22-February 1, 2015. Cost: $4899 pp/balcony cabin/dbl. (Only 4 cabins available at this rate).
Meal reservations can be made by calling 860-763-7428. I can be reached at email@example.com, as well. We look forward to hearing from you.