- Public Works
- Refuse & Resource Management
- Regular Trash Collection
Regular Trash Collection
We look forward to serving you! If you have any questions, please call the Solid Waste Division at 860-763-7527.
Please see the Public Works website page regarding the new ordinance adopted January 18, 2022 and effective March 1, 2022.
One (1) gray trash tipper barrel will be collected per week at no additional charge. A maximum of two (2) additional tags may be purchased for gray tipper barrels for $85 each for the year. For pickup immediately following six holidays (New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas), we will pick up additional barrels without tags.
Curbside trash collection takes place once each week, Monday through Thursday. Recycling collection is biweekly. Review the trash collection schedule (PDF).
Residents are required to use gray tipper barrel(s) to dispose of their weekly trash.
The town will not pick up trash unless it is in an approved gray tipper barrel(s).
Residents must place tipper barrels at the curbside by 6:00 a.m. on the day of the scheduled collection. They should not be placed at curbside any sooner than two hours prior to sunset on the day preceding a scheduled collection. Empty containers should be removed from the curbside by 7:00 pm of the day of your collection.
To accommodate our new one arm automated trucks, Tippers should have a three foot space on each side for the automated truck arms to pick up the tipper barrel. Residents are reminded not to place their trash and recycling in areas that are obstructed by parked vehicles, telephone poles, street signs, etc. Tipper Barrels placed on top of snow banks present an extreme hazard for collectors.
Purchasing Tipper Barrels
Tipper barrels can be purchased at the Public Works Department, 40 Moody Road from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Note that payment must be cash or check. Tipper barrels may be delivered after receipt of payment.
Christmas Tree Recycling
The Town of Enfield Public Works Department will be picking up Christmas trees the week of January 9 through January 13, 2023, according to the following rules & schedule: Please have your tree at the curb by 6 am on Monday January 9. Residents in condos must have their tree out at the main road. No artificial trees will be collected. Trees must be free of tinsel, ornaments and stands. Trees placed out at the curb in plastic bags cannot be collected. We encourage all residents to bring their Christmas trees to the Transfer Station at 77 Town Farm Road, at no charge. The Transfer Station hours are Tuesday through Friday 8 am – 2:30 pm and Saturday 8 am – 3:30 pm (note that the Transfer Station is closed on Tuesday, January 3, 2023.)
- Yard waste (please see link on left for yard waste disposal information)
- Materials from excavation, construction or destruction of buildings such as earth, plaster, mortar, bricks, roofing materials, trees, or tree stumps over 6 inches in diameter.
- Biological wastes, medical waste, and unprotected syringes.
- Junkyard waste such as auto parts, tires, oils and fuels.
- Acids, poisons, drugs and explosives.
- Furniture or other bulky items.
For details on how to dispose of ammunition, contact the Enfield Police Department.
For proper disposal of flags, you may place in the bin located behind American Legion, 566 Enfield Street.
Holidays for 2023
Trash collection will be delayed one day for each of the days following a holiday (i.e. if the holiday is on a Monday, each day during that week will be delayed one day; if the holiday is on a Wednesday, Monday and Tuesday will remain the same but Wednesday and Thursday will be delayed one day). Following is a list of the holidays:
- New Years Day - Monday, January 2, 2023
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 16, 2023
- Lincoln’s Birthday - Monday, February 13, 2023
- President’s Day (Washington’s Birthday) - Monday, February 20, 2023
- Good Friday - Friday, April 7, 2023
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 29, 2023
- Independence Day - Tuesday, July 4, 2023
- Labor Day - Monday, September 4, 2023
- Columbus Day - Monday, October 9, 2023
- Veteran’s Day - Friday, November 10, 2023
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 23, 2023
- Christmas - Monday, December 25, 2023