ENFIELD SENIOR CENTER
As a focal point for aging services, the Enfield Senior Center provides social, educational, and recreational opportunities to enrich the mind, body and spirit of older adults in an open and accepting atmosphere.
Events on Facebook
First sign up day for October classes:
Residents - Wednesday, September 23 from 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Non-Residents - Wednesday, September 30 from 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
Please bring a completed registration form and cash or a check payable to the Enfield Senior Center.
Registration Forms and Procedures
ENFIELD SENIOR CENTER REGISTRATION PROCEDURE
The Enfield Senior Center will re-open to the public on a limited basis on Monday, October 5, 2020. Registration for fitness and arts & crafts classes will begin on Wednesday, September 23 for residents and Wednesday, September 30 for non-residents. Pre-registration will be required for all programs. There will be no drop-in programs.
• Registration will begin promptly at 8:30am and end at 12:00pm.
• Registration will be held outdoors in front of the entrance.
• If you arrive early, please socially distance in line on the sidewalk – 6 feet apart. Directional markers will indicate where to stand.
• Masks are required.
• Both the registration form and the COVID Informed Consent form should be completed in advance. Both forms can be found on our website: www.enfield-ct.gov/seniors
• Classes are no longer listed on the registration form. Please find a list of offerings on the Senior Center website, Facebook page or email from Friday, September 18, 2020.
• Please note that the new registration form has a release and waiver section at the bottom of the form. Participants are required to sign the form.
• Participants may only register themselves, due to limited class sizes.
• Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check or money order made payable to the Enfield Senior Center.
• Participants who have a credit from cancelled classes in their My Senior Center Wallet may apply it to their registration.
• Registration will end at 12:00pm. For those who miss the initial registration date, call the Enfield Senior Center at 860-763-7425 to make an appointment.
• Mail-in registrations will be accepted and put in a hold folder to be entered at random after the initial registration based on your residency.
• Class sizes will be very limited due to State of Connecticut COVID guidelines.
For more information, the Registration and COVID Informed Consent forms, and the program class listing please visit our website at www.enfield-ct.gov/seniors.
Sign up early as class size is limited due to social distance guidelines and slots are awarded on a first come first served basis.
Registration and COVID-19 wavier forms :
Senior Center Fitness Classes
Senior Center Arts and Craft Classes
PRIME Fitness Re-opening Update
The Enfield Senior Center is excited to announce that it will re-open the Prime Fitness Center starting Monday, October 5, 2020.
To meet the new State guidelines there have been a few changes to the Fitness Center:
• The Fitness Center has been expanded into the adjacent Multipurpose Room to provide 6 foot spacing between machines.
• All participants must wear a mask during their visit including while they workout.
• Members will be required to clean the machines after each use.
• Staff will perform general cleaning during the day as time permits.
• A staff member will be on duty while the Fitness Center is open.
• Members will enter through the external door marked Entrance to the Fitness Center and exit through the opposite external door marked Exit. Members will not be admitted to the Fitness Center from the main portion of the Senior Center.
• Congregating will not be permitted while entering, exiting, or using the Fitness Center.
• Chairs will be available outside for members to change shoes prior to entering the Fitness Center. The lockers are no longer available for use.
• Participants must be a current member. New memberships will not be taken at this time due to limited hours.
Workout times and reservations:
• The Fitness Center will be open 8:00am-11:50am and 1:00pm-3:50pm.
• Visits will be by appointment only. Members may make a reservation for a 50-Minute session.
• Session times:
o 12:00-1:00pm Closed for lunch and cleaning
• Reservations can be made on Friday mornings from 9:30-11:30am for the following week.
• To make a reservation, call the Fitness Center at 860-272-3554.
• Reservations will be limited to 10 members per session.
• Reservations for the week of October 5-9, 2020 will be accepted starting on Friday, October 2 from 9:30-11:30am by calling the Fitness Center.
• The Senior Center reserves the right to restrict use of the reservation system for parties who chronically reserve spots and then do not show up during their scheduled session.
Enfield Senior Center COVID Procedures – Prime Fitness Center
• If you or anyone in your household does not feel well for ANY REASON, please do not visit the Fitness Center.
• Please notify us if anyone who visited the Fitness Center or someone in your household tests positive for COVID-19 on the day of your visit or in the 14 days immediately following your visit.
• The front doors to the Senior Center will remain locked. Participants will be asked to check in with program staff at the outside entrance to the Fitness Center. Check-in will begin no sooner than 5 minutes prior to start time.
• Upon arrival, a visual and verbal health screening will be conducted by program staff.
• Everyone must sanitize their hands when entering the Fitness Center.
• Please keep socially distanced with other participants while waiting in line to enter and during your visit.
• Everyone must wear a face mask throughout your visit to the Fitness Center including while you work out.
• Participants will be asked to stay in the expanded Fitness Center area except for the use of the adjacent restroom.
• No food or drink, except water bottles, will be allowed during your visit. Please bring your own water bottle full to the center since the water fountains will not be in use.
• Participants should bring all belongs with them when they leave.
• Participants are asked to leave once the session is complete. Congregating will not be allowed.
• Program staff will be following enhanced cleaning protocols.
• Procedures are subject to change based on new local, State or Federal guidelines. We will communicate any changes via email.
Virtual Alaska Tour - Friendship Tours
On September 30 at 11:00 am, Join Friendship Tours for an inspiring, fun, and interactive presentation about one of the world's great cruise and travel destinations, Alaska & the Yukon!
Kayli and Clint are our Holland America Line on Stage Alaska presenters. They are coming to you, live from Anchorage. They currently live year-round in Alaska, and both have worked for Holland America Line as Journey Hosts, guiding guests through Alaska and the Yukon. They are excited to share their local insight with you!
Advance Registration Required Please type this link into your browser to register.
Stay Connected with Agency on Aging
WANT TO “STAY CONNECTED” WHILE STAYING HOME AND STAYING SAFE?
The CT Department of Aging and Disability Services has a new grant program called “Stay Connected” that will provide technology such as laptops and tablets to older adults and individuals with disabilities who are increasingly socially isolated because of COVID-19.
The grant even provides training on how to use the devices so you do not need to be a “techie” to give it a try. If you would like to be screened for the program, please call your local Area Agency on Aging at 1-800-994-9422 and ask for the “Stay Connected Program” in the CHOICES Department.
Weekly Craft - Week of September 28th
Perhaps the best thing about these adorable pumpkins is you're actually not wasting toilet paper, because you can easily disassemble the pumpkins at the end of the season.
Start with one fat quarter, or precut piece of fabric, unfolded with the print facing down. Place a roll of toilet paper in the center of the fabric, then fold the fabric up over the sides of the toilet paper roll, stuffing the fabric into the top of the roll as you go. Once the toilet paper roll is completely covered with fabric, add a leaf and a wine cork to the center of the roll.
Please call the Enfield Senior Center at 860-763-7437 to sign-up. The number of craft packages are limited!!
Girl Scout Pen Pal
Were you a Girl Scout growing up? Do you remember the feeling of earning a new badge? You can help a Girl Scout in your area have that same feeling!
The Senior Center is partnering with a local Girl Scout Troop for a Pen Pal Program! You will be paired up with a Girl Scout to exchange letters in the mail. To register for this program please call the Senior Center at 860-763-7425 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Occupational Therapy Telehealth Sessions
We are working with Bay Path University’s Occupational Therapy students to create telehealth sessions in a group format and individual, if preferred. These sessions can happen through Zoom, Facebook Live, your Public Access Channel, or over the phone. Some of the topics discussed in these sessions will be gardening, physical exercise, total body stretching, stress relief techniques, leisure pursuits, nutritional education, healthy snack preparation, hand strengthening activities, and cardio drumming.
If you are interested, please contact either:
Nancy Darrah at email@example.com
Alexis Ferioli at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us every Tuesday at 11:00 am starting July 7th for a game of Scattergories. This will be via Zoom. Please call 860-763-7425 or send an email to email@example.com to receive a link to join in on the fun!
*Game will only happen if adequate number of people register*
Virtual Coffee Hour
Every Thursday from 9:30 -10:30 am
Just a chance to socialize and connect each week.
How to attend the chat:
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us at: 860-763-7425
Send us a message in Facebook messenger
Click “Going” on the Virtual Coffee Hour Facebook Event
We will send you the Zoom meeting link and password that Thursday, after you contact us that you would like to participate.
The following services are available via phone and are free 15-minute consultations. Call the Senior Center at 860-763-7425 to schedule an appointment.
Ask the Lawyer: October 28th
Ask the Realtor: October 7th
Legal Consultation: October 20th
Ask The CPA: Open availability. Call 860-741-3716 to set up appointment.
Connecticut is in Phase 2 of their Re-Opening Plan. Currently, the Senior Center is Closed to the Public.
We are offering virtual programs through our Facebook Page during this time. Please join in on the fun!
PRIME FITNESS CENTER
Health and Wellness
Online Health and Wellness
Core Power Yoga: https://www.corepoweryogaondemand.com/keep-up-your-practice
Silver Sneakers: www.facebook.com/silversneakers
Aerobics (Seated or Standing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CE4ijWlQ18
Chair Yoga Exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ST1j9PfrA
Merengue Beginner Dance Fitness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPyh80F4iE
LDS Family Search: www.familysearch.org/en/
Find my Past: www.findmypast.com
National Archives: www.archives.gov/research/genealogy
Online Arts and Crafts
Card Making: www.splitcoaststampers.com
The Smithsonian Institute: Follow the link below to free online courses, including subjects in central mathematics, programming, personal development, education, and more! https://www.edx.org/search
TED TALKS: Learn about some new ideas through some powerful talks (18 minutes or less). Choose from over 3,300 videos on varying topics to stir your curiosity. The one linked below is about the power of boredom.