WELCOME TO THE
ENFIELD CONSERVATION COMMISSION WEBPAGE!
Scantic River, Enfield, CT.
Goals & Responsibilities
In accordance with CT General Statutes, Section 7-131a, (Town Code, Chapter 2, Article I, Section 2-6.1) the Town Council, in July 2001, established by ordinance a Conservation Commission for the development and conservation of natural resources, including water resources, within the territorial limits of the town.
In general the commission has 5 goals. Examples of work in each of the goal categories are:
- Open Space Preservation - The purchase of land along the Scantic River corridor and the designation of such as an official Greenway by the CT Greenways Council, advocacy of acquisition of properties currently owned by Northeast Utilities, presenting educational forums in collaboration with Northern CT Land Trust
- Farm Land Preservation - The compilation of a document entitled Open Space and Farmland Preservation in Enfield that outlines an open space planning program, advocacy of Farmland Preservation Bill 1041
- Aquifer Protection - Participation in the CT River Watershed Council's Conference focusing on creating a strategy for conservation and development within the watershed in the MA/CT region, participation in southern New England Soil and Water Conservation programs dealing with low flow problems and streams, development of information that will protect the drinking water supply for the town (source of which is entirely deep well aquifers)
- Archaeological Protection - Collaboration with members of the Enfield Historical Society to assist the state with an update of a map showing archaeologically sensitive sites in Enfield, and the commitment to work with the historic policy work group of the Enfield Revitalization Strategy Committee in order to address archaeological protection areas
- Special Projects - Research and documentation of conservation easements throughout Enfield, CT River Clean Up, support of access to the CT River over Amtrak property
WHEN: Second Tuesday of the Month at 7:30PM (directly after the Enfield Agricultural Commission)
WHERE: Town Hall, Enfield Room: 820 Enfield Street, Enfield, CT. 06082
The commission is comprised of 7 members and 3 alternate members to be appointed by the chief executive officer of the municipality. The term of office is 4 years.
Next Meeting Information and Materials
Next Regular Meeting- December 13, 2022 at 7:30PM in the Enfield Room-820 Enfield St- (First Level of Town Hall)
Missed a meeting? No worries! See the chart below for meeting recordings and/or transcripts of the Virtual Meetings:
|Recordings of Past Meetings||Enfield Conservation Commission|
|November 9, 2022|
|October 11, 2022||September 13, 2022||July 12, 2022-Part 1|
July 12, 2022- Part 2
|June 14, 2022|
|May- Cancelled||April 12, 2022||March 8, 2022||February 8, 2022-Minutes available only|
|January 11, 2022- Virtual Meeting Transcript||June 8th, 2021 Meeting||May 11, 2021 Meeting||April 13, 2021 Meeting|
|March 09, 2021 Meeting (Meeting starts about 35 mins)||February 09, 2021 Meeting||January 12, 2021 Meeting (Meeting starts at about 38 mins)||December 08, 2020 Meeting|
Staff: Georgienna Driver
Office P: (860) 253-6356
Department: Planning and Zoning-Town Hall second floor, Enfield, CT. 06082